Monday, February 04, 2008

Etchings

As people grow older they seem to subtly change and begin to find things they never thought were interesting to be just that.

A couple of months ago as I was casually walking by the shops inside Bangsar Village II as I usually do, I suddenly stopped in my tracks and looked at something. And no, it did not have 2 legs and a skirt.

It was a painting inside an art gallery that was on display. It was titled 'Lagu Rindu' by a Malaysian artist named Eng Tay. I was mesmerized by the painting, and I did not know why. I just stopped and looked at it closely in front of the gallery's glass window. The painting was going for about RM30k odd. Not knowing much (or anything for that matter) about paintings and the arts, I wondered how a 'local' guy could manage to command such a fee. But that's another matter. Went back to the gallery a week later, but it was no longer by the window where it once was.

There's no way in hell that I could afford or invest in such a hobby/interest like art at the moment, or in the near future. I wonder if my interest in photography has 'opened' up a side of me that I didn't know was there.

Even the other day during a corporate event where me and some colleagues were having lunch at the hotel's coffee house, I stood up while having my dessert and looked at some generic art pieces that was hanging on the restaurant's usually uninteresting walls.

Hmm.

'Lagu Rindu' by Eng Tay

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hello :)

-astrid-